Sunday night Alright!!! Or rather, the Very last Sunday of April 2017… It sounds so final, doesn’t it?
In the past few days I spent some time reflecting on the fact that I planted the seed for this blog 5 years ago in April. On April 29th 2012 I felt like my heart was crushed after breaking up with my former best friend.
It was an odd time, but I found comfort and healing in journaling, reading, adding color to my sketch book and reading a blog that a friend of mine recommended. In fact they suggested that I start blogging, but I laughed at the thought because I didn’t know a thing about computers outside of logging into my email and facebook AND I didn’t own a computer.
How do you heal a broken heart?
- Well, you start by admitting that you have one.
- Then you start doing the things that bring you joy even when you would rather stay in bed and cry your eyes out.
- Then, surround yourself by loving and supportive friends that you trust. In my case, it was my sister, Aunya.
- This one is the hardest. Do you very best to stop dwelling and replaying the events in your mind it will only add cracks to your heart.
- Oh and after you have had some time to mourn your loss, do your best to refrain from airing out your dirty laundry to everyone around you. Or seeking counsel or console-ment.
- And the easiest way to handle a break-up is to make it a clean break. Don’t trick yourself into hoping that he can’t live without you or that he will come running back to you.
- Live your life with a sense of dignity and class and be that Phoenix who rises from her ashes!!!
I can’t say that I followed everyone of these and some of the lessons I learned through painful experience. We deal with heartbreak in the best way we know how and sometimes it just gets extra messy.
Toxicity is quite literally a pimple. It builds more pressure with time. And if you give it time, it often goes away on its own, but sometimes it is just too damn hard to keep from poking at it. And before you know it it becomes inflamed and has quadrupled in size! There comes a point where you need to drain it, disinfect it, then move forward!!! Don’t be the toxic one who pokes and prods to the point of infection.
OH MY WORD!!! Why am I even talking about heartache, heartbreak, and breakups when I am so in love right now?!?! I guess it is because I wanted to honor the fact that:
When you are in the midst of heartbreak it feels like your world is ending and all of a sudden the faults and flaws of your relationship magically disappear and you somehow long for the good times. Don’t beat yourself up over it, my dear darling friends!!! Marilyn Monroe was right when she said that some things fall apart so that better and more beautiful blessings can fall into place. This happened to me when I was least expecting it and it can happen to you too!!!
April was a messy month for me. My dad was in the hospital and his health is rapidly deteriorating. My mom broke her arm. And I started school and promptly fell behind as a result of all this chaos. Not to mention, I had breathing problems, weight gain, and an eye infection. Also the love of my life just started his new and exciting job. So life has been hectic.
I just need to remind myself that this month was not without its blessings. The love of my life started his new job and we have been able to spend lots of time together. He has been more rock and so strong and supportive of me through every ordeal. I have my 3 little cuddle buddies (the two kitty cats and the dog). Yes, I fell behind in Chemistry and have been feeling super discouraged, but I realized that I don’t have to allow my stresses and insecurities to interfere with my learning. Yes, I reached my heaviest weight and felt my worst, but my parent’s conditions were wake up calls from me and I just completed 7 days of clean eating!!!
I have new goals for the month of May, but I also want to make it a point to commit myself to April’s goals because they can transform my life for the best:
- Do what you must and do it with ALL your heart.
- Learn a new language and/or expand on what you have learned so far.
- Train a little harder.
- Wake up a little earlier for an early start.
Here are some of my goals for May:
- Get more sleep at night.
- Wake up earlier.
- Eat clean.
- Cut out Dairy, refined sugar, and flour.
- Exercise DAILY. Even if it is just a 10 minute ab workout.
- Complete my homework ahead of schedule.
- Run more.
- Practice Yoga.
How was your April? Please comment below to share your highs and lows with me or send me a link to your post. Also, what are your goals for May?! We GOT THIS!!! Let’s accomplish our goals together!!!
Love, Joy, and Blessings Always,